Do Rainbow Trout Have Scales?
The quick answer to the question Do Rainbow Trout Have Scales is…Yes, rainbow trout do have scales.
In fact all trout species have scales and if you ever cook one for a meal, you will see they have scales from cleaning and preparing the fish.
Below we will cover some more facts about trout in general including rainbow trout.
Rainbow Trout Facts
- Rainbow Trout come in a variety of colors but always prominent is a reddish stripe through its body.
- They have seven fins in total, pectoral fins, pelvic fins, anal fin, dorsal fin & adipose fin.
- Inside its mouth are a top row of teeth which it uses to catch its prey.
- Rainbows don’t usually eat grass or vegetation; they feed on insects and other smaller fish like tuna and crustaceans.
- Their preferred habitat is cool freshwater, rivers, streams, lakes etc.
- The Rainbow trout usually lays her eggs in a pit she digs in gravel or similar foundation on the bottom on the river, lake or pond. She begins spawning from the age of 3 to 4 years of age.
Brown Trout Facts
- Brown Trout are considered to be native mainly to Europe and Asia however they are found in North America, North East Africa and Canada.
- Like the Rainbow trout, they feed on similar food such as insects, smaller fish and crustaceans.
- Brown trout are not considered to be endangered.
- They tend to live long lives but can also be prone to die after spawning.
- At spawning time, they can produce up to 2000 eggs at a time!
- The large species have been known to feed on mice.
- A Brown Trout has not been known to date to breed with rainbow trout.
- Steelhead Trout and Rainbow Trout have been classed as the same species.
- They tend to always return to their place of birth to spawn.
- Their spawning age is from 2-3 years.
- Some fish like shark have been recorded to live up to 11 years of age.
- Steelhead do not have teeth on the base of their tongue.
- Usually a lot more streamlined than the rainbow trout and they tend to spend a few years in the ocean before returning to the freshwater habitat to reproduce.
Trout are amazing fish and great fun when catching them on a fly!
Rainbow Trout have scales as do the other species of trout mentioned above
Best Fly Fishing Reels
Best Portable Grill
Best Fly Reels Under $200
Best Fly Fishing Chest Packs
How to tie a leader to a tippet
Best Fly Fishing Nets
Best Fly Rod For Beginners
Best Wading Jackets
Best Saltwater Fly Reels